[Durham INC] Fw: Urgent -Jordan Lake -- by 5 PM today (Mon, April 4)

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 11:25:45 EDT 2009

The rules are based on the best science we have.  The construction of the lake, on the other hand, ignored clear warnings that water quality in the lake would be technically difficult and expensive to maintain.

I agree that seeing how much thing improve on their own has some merit.  However, I have big concerns about cost benefit studies (killing you in 20 years has a really low cost in these calculations and they tend to become "he said / she said" contests between expensive "hired guns" on both sides -- and, hey, here's a reason they aren't called "benefit cost analyses" because you KNOW what comes first!).  I also wonder if some vague promise to worry about it later will keep anyone's eye on this ball. I find it hilarious that we just celebrated winners on drinking water posters -- wonder what these kids are going to be drinking when they grow up!Finally, People's Alliance is having a forum on the subject next week -- assume public is welcome.5/13/09 (Wed);     6:30 - 8:30 pm ( * brief membership meeting following)Herald-Sun Building Community Room2828 Pickett Rd.Regards, pat