[Durham INC] Fw: Urgent -Jordan Lake -- by 5 PM today (Mon, April 4)

Tina tinamotley at earthlink.net
Thu May 7 09:23:37 EDT 2009

This next sound bite is also from a Durham City Council work session.
Paul Wiebke is explaining Durham's position on water quality.
Weibke says Durham is a resource for other cities.

Wiebke states,

"As for the Jordan rules, we are taking the lead on those.
We seem to be the leading edge, for better or worse, bleeding edge
for water quality issues."

The words "bleeding edge" are echoed by Durham City Council.

"Essentially the State is a surrogate for EPA, and we are grateful that
they are.
 They have done things that are helpful to us."

Who is us?  Us certainly doesn't refer to the hundreds of thousands of
people who drink water
from Jordan Lake.  What are the additional costs those people will have
to pay to make this
water drinkable?

Is this the environmental leadership Councilman Woodard is referring to?
The rules are
delayed, then watered down.

The sound bite is from the work session on March 5, 2009 (3:15:10 into
the recording).

Tina