[Durham INC] The ghost of Durham's Future?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 22:44:29 EDT 2009

One need only take a 3 minute glance at the first article below, regarding Charlotte's flooding and the damage (economically, environmentally, and other- wise), to see why environmentally responsible development is worth fighting for. Hindsight is 20/20, but there's no excuse for Durham not to learn from the mistakes of our neighbors.

We should save what little is left of South Durham and impose REAL environmentally responsible restrictions and regulations on ALL future development in other areas of Durham.

We MUST empower Durham with the ability to demand that rural and suburban developments from henceforth be Low-Impact or Conservation Subdivision developments...

--Melissa (Rooney) -- don't forget to click on the first link below

  view this email as a web page, go here.

Today's Headlines

May 7, 2009

Why Charlotte floods

By Christopher D. Kirkpatrick |
E-mail | 6:09AM

Academics
and officials say too much development, an old drainage system and unusually
heavy rainfall is pushing area creeks past their limits.

Flooding rains hit
Charlotte

Forecast: Some drying, but
storms will return

On
the Web:
Mecklenburg flood zones

Areas
hard-hit by Tuesday storm

BofA needs $34 billion;
what are the bank's options?

By Christina Rexrode and Rick
Rothacker | E-mail | 8:27AM

Bank
of America needs to add $34 billion to its cushion against future losses, but
the Charlotte bank may not have to raise new money from the government or
private investors, according to sources familiar with bank stress tests to be
released today.

Stress
test results show banking crisis isn't over

Details
of 'stress tests' of 19 financial firms

Wells
Fargo freezes pension plan

Amex,
JPMorgan, Bank of New York Mellon pass tests

Crescent Resources'
trouble mirrors real estate's fall

By Bruce Henderson | E-mail | 7:17AM

Backed
by thousands of acres owned around Duke Energy's Carolina lakes, projects
spreading the nation's southern half, Charlotte-based developer Crescent
Resources seemed too golden to fail.

New office building in
South End

By Doug Smith | E-mail | 7:16AM

new three-story office building planned for South Church Street could help
bridge the gap between uptown and South End.

MORE FROM THE NEWSROOM»

·
Rally for homeless | May
2, 2009

·
Roadwork on inbound
Randolph | 7:29AM

·
Colleges, CMS create
teacher institute | 7:22AM

·
Senate passes
anti-bullying bill | 7:20AM

·
Busted pipe damages
5,000 pieces of mail | 7:16AM

·
Union County teacher
tops in N.C. | 7:15AM

·
CMS to purge 1,300 bus
riders | 7:14AM

·
Furlough day not likely
for N.C. schools | 7:12AM

·
Protesters rally against
'tyranny' of annexation | 7:12AM

·
Group that honors vets
gets own honor | 7:11AM

N.C. NEWS FROM AP»

·
Mountain State U. to
open campuses in DC, NC | 7:59AM

·
NC-based research diver
dies at underwater lab | 6:59AM

·
US: Baghdad contract
expires for NC security firm | 8:34AM

·
NC man gets 115 years
for child molestation | 6:24AM

·
NC State to fix Bell
Tower before graduation | 5:54AM

S.C. NEWS FROM AP»

·
SC regulators OK Duke
energy savings ideas | 8:29AM

·
SC officials review
guidelines for schools and flu | 6:59AM

·
SC Transportation Dept.
cuts back on grass cutting | 6:04AM

·
SC legislative panel to
debate voting ID bill | 4:09AM

·
SC ag commissioner,
others discuss rural future | 4:09AM

SUBSCRIPTION
INFORMATION

Subscribe
to our other products, cancel your subscription or manage your account by
visiting the Member
Center or logging into CharlotteObserver.com.

Don't
know why you got this email?

You have an account at CharlotteObserver.com
and you currently are opted in for mailings of this type. To review or change
your account login information, you can update your profile here.
If you don't know your account information, you can find out here.

Please do not reply to this e-mail, as we are unable to
respond to messages sent to this address.

Written
communications concerning this mailing can be directed to: The Charlotte
Observer, Attn: Interactive, 600 S. Tryon St., Charlotte NC 28202.

 Site
     Map
 Terms
     of Use
 Privacy
     Policy
 Copyright
 About
     The Charlotte Observer

 About
     the McClatchy Company

Click
here to unsubscribe from this newsletter