[Durham INC] Fw: Good News - Jordan Lake rules!

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 11:53:26 EDT 2009

See below...FYI :)
Melissa (Rooney)

--- On Tue, 5/12/09, Haw River Assembly <info at hawriver.org> wrote:

From: Haw River Assembly <info at hawriver.org>
Subject: Good News - Jordan Lake rules!
To: mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009, 7:00 PM

Jordan Lake
rules we can support have passed the House!!!

The past few weeks have been a time of intense negotiations in legislative
committees as downstream local governments, led by Chatham and the
environmental community, faced off against Durham and Greensboro to keep the
key part of the Jordan Lake rules  from being demolished.  We have
done it!  The NC House passed a compromise bill on Jordan Lake today that we support. The legislators on the House ENR committee heard from a large number of citizens  throughout the watershed in support of a strong bill and it really made a difference - thanks to everyone who made that effort.

A little less than three hours ago, H239, the Jordan compromise bill, passed second
reading on the House floor on a vote of 106 – 8, and third reading on a voice
vote.  Reps. Allen, Bordsen, Harrison, and Luebke all spoke in support of
the compromise; no one spoke against it.  The ‘no’ votes on second reading
were all from conservative Republicans (including Rep. Cary Allred, Alamance-R,
whose H3 disapproval bill didn’t get taken up).

This new version fixed the problems in the first draft of a compromise bill pushed by the upstream cities that would have greatly delayed the
implementation of the Existing Development part of the rules. The version voted
on today also removed the language about "walking away" (getting a
Water Quality variance to pollute instead of cleaning it up).
The compromise on our side is a longer date for WWTP nitrogen reductions - 2016
instead of the 2014 we fought for and the EMC recommended. But overall we can support this bill and so can the other stakeholders who have been involved in this struggle for 7 years!

We expect to have to keep defending this through the Senate (we've already
heard that the Homebuilders Assoc, wants to weaken the "new development
"rule) - but it is very good news that we have a bill that addresses - for
the first time in NC - cleaning up stormwater pollution from already developed
land in a drinking water reservoir.

Big thanks to Representatives Lucy Allen, Alice Bordsen, Joe Hackney, Pricey Harrision, Verla Insko, Paul Luebke and Grier Martin for their efforts to get this bill passed.

And now- on to the SENATE!

Elaine Chiosso
Haw Riverkeeper
Haw River Assembly