[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Survey Update

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 22:03:35 EDT 2009

      Please view the
update from the Haw River Assembly below.

* Because the easternmost point (as determined via ground-measured contour lines) was much further from the developer's survey's point than we expected (a very good thing), the survey cost much more than estimated, and we are underfunded.

We are still going to have to pay the surveyor and hydrologist for any time they testify and prepare to testify. And we'd like to get some maps/schematics/ etc. drawn up so that our beautiful data is presented to our public officials by the most professional, unbiased, and easy-to-understand means possible.

I did not expect to be in this conundrum. All the people who thank me for all I'm doing, and ask me to keep them posted, etc.
etc.... and so many still have not donated just $5...I know that all of you know how frustrating it can get.

 * I
hope you will consider skipping one lunch, dinner or coffee out this week and,
instead, donate that money to the Jordan Lake Survey Fund.

If
you signed the online petition (at http://www.petition online.com/ jrdnsrvy/) , surely you can donate $5 to this cause (or more if you can afford it).

Haw River contact info is below (for making donations directly by check).

* ALL DONATIONS ARE ANONYMOUS -- meaning the Haw River Assembly will not make public your donation/informatio n.

If you want
to remain completely anonymous (not even in the financial records), you can
send a check to me (Melissa Rooney) and I’ll make the check out to the Haw River
Assembly and donate your money in my name:

Melissa Rooney

301 Spring Garden Drive

Durham, NC 27713

Alternatively, you can make a credit card payment via Paypal to
mmr121570 at yahoo. com and I'll send a check to the HRA with the amount
everyone deposits this way.

 * If
you know anyone in the Triangle who would be willing to donate, please pass
this information on to them. My contacts (and their support) are clearly drying
up.

[This is a
TRIANGLE issue, not just a Durham issue. If Durham proceeds with redrawing the
Jordan Lake Boundaries to accommodate this dense, mixed-use development,
other counties who depend on the
lake for their water supply (Chatham County, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Wake County) would suffer the immediate results far more
than Durham.]
Again, even $5 will do. We've
already shown that the money is being put to prompt and effective use ;)
Thanks so much for your continued support (financial and otherwise).
Sincerely,Melissa (Rooney)P.S. Read full report below.

Help us find the truth about the Jordan Lake boundary on New Hope Creek
in Durham!

We have a survey - and the point is far upstream of the
developer's point!

The 216' Jordan Lake normal pool elevation on New Hope Creek is about
1/2 mile further upstream than the current Durham (USGS) point.  It
very closely matches the point on the Lidar map produced by Southern
Environmental Law Center.

We have a deferral of the public hearing until August!

We asked for a deferral of the public hearing by the Durham Planning
Commission Tuesday evening, based on this new information -and were
granted two months.

We need your help to get to the finish line!

The survey cost almost three times as much as originally
estimated because of the long distance they had to go upstream. We need
to raise money to pay for the added expense.

What's happened so far:

A survey of the bottom contour of New Hope Creek to establish  the 216
normal pool elevation for  Jordan Lake was completed by a surveyor and
hydrologist hired by the Haw River Assembly last week.   We have
preliminary information from the survey that indicates this point is
approximately one-half mile further
upstream than the original USGS determination used by Durham and much
further up than the developer's point (which used a different
survey method )   Using this new location,
if New Hope Creek was dry and Jordan Lake’s water surface elevation was
at 216', the water from the lake would reach this location in the
stream.

The Haw River Assembly and members from Durham asked the Durham
Planning Commission this past Tuesday to defer the public hearing.  The
Commission voted to postponed it for two months in order to give us
time to submit the results of this new survey of the lake's boundary up
New Hope Creek.  We hope that the results will convince the County to
not approve changes in the boundary and zoning that could lead to
massive development along N.C. 751 next to the lake.

Why we need help:

The special fund the Haw River Assembly set up for this survey has
received $7700 in donations from over 50 people!  But because of the
long distance upstream the surveyors had to go to find this point (good
for us of course!) it took them much more time to complete it. The
final cost for the surveyor, hydrologist, maps and reports will be up
to $11,000. This includes the cost of testimony by the surveyor and
hydrologist at public hearings.

We are reaching out to the larger community that cares about Jordan
Lake, fairness and the truth, to ask for help raising the rest of the
funds needed.

If you can make a donation, please send it to:

Haw River Assembly

P.O. Box 187

Bynum NC  27228

Please write "Jordan Lake Survey"  on the message line

Thanks to everyone for their generous contributions - and
helping us to continue the fight!

Elaine Chiosso

Haw RIVERKEEPER

Haw River Assembly