[Durham INC] Thank you for your Support

Rev.Melvin Whitley tellmelvin at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 20 07:42:12 EDT 2009

Ask the Governor: Bev Perdue to Pass The

"Drug Paraphernalia Control Act"

 (919) 715-1406

On June 18th 2009 the North Carolina General Assembly passed the "Drug
Paraphernalia Control Act" called the Drug Stem Bill. Call our Governor
Perdue (919) 715-1406 and ask her to sign this Bill.

We started this campaign three years ago because we believed that the sales
of drug paraphernalia contribute to drug use just as much as the drug dealer
does. We dream for the day that our communities are free from drug uses. We
asked for a law that would declare glass pipes call ("rose in a glass" or
"Love rose") pipes, drug paraphernalia.

 I want to thank you for your support. It was the endorsement of the
People's Alliance, NAACP, Friends of Durham, InterNeighborhood Council, all
5 PAC's, Duke Park Neighborhood Association Board, Old West Durham
Neighborhood Association, Durham Roundtable, Durham Committee on the Affairs
of Black People, The Beaver Pond Business Alliance, New East Durham
Neighborhoods and the Durham City Council that got the bill noticed. Please
join us in thanking the Durham County Delegation for leading the charge
toward passing this Bill.

This Bill requires the following.

1.    Individuals present identification that includes a photograph that is
an accurate depiction of the person and that also includes the person's name
and current address.

2.    Individual enters his or her name and current address on a record that
the retailer shall maintain solely for the purposes of this section.

3.    Individuals sign his or her name, verifying by signature the glass
tube or splitter will not be used as drug paraphernalia in violation of the
criminal laws of the State of North Carolina.

We are almost at the finishing line, with only one more step to take. Please
call Governor Perdue at (919) 715-1406 and ask her to sign the "Drug
Paraphernalia Control Act" into Law. We would not be at this point without
your help, thanks' again.

Your Servant

Rev. Melvin Whitley

2614 Harvard Ave.