[Durham INC] Warehouse Blues Series begins on July 24!

Smith, Annette Annette.Smith at durhamnc.gov
Thu Jul 23 10:59:39 EDT 2009

Warehouse Blues

Fridays, 6 p.m.    West Village    604 W. Morgan St.    Free

Come out tomorrow night, Friday, July 24, at 6 p.m. for opening night of the 2009 Warehouse Blues concert series!  Warehouse Blues is a free series held outdoors at the West Village courtyard (604 W. Morgan St.) every Friday at 6 p.m. from July 24-September 4.  Tomorrow's concert will feature Captain Luke, Sol, Big Ron Hunter, Whistlin' Britches and Bubba Norwood.

Luther Mayer, known as "Captain Luke," was blessed with a deep natural baritone. Luke's music and art are rooted firmly in the African-American working class of the Carolina Piedmont and the mystique of his message refers continually to the blues experience.

Sol's talent stretches from fiery rock to laid-back jazz, and from funky innovative grooves to soulful ballads, always drawing on a deep background in blues. Sol's unique versatility has allowed him to gig with Latin, African, reggae, gospel, jazz, funk, R&B, and folk performers.

Big Ron Hunter picked up a guitar in the 1960's and played in various local bands. He was mentored by bluesman Guitar Gabriel and developed his unique style while raising a family and working a day job. Retired now, Hunter is looking to break into the blues scene and play his music.

Captain Luke gave Haskel Thompson his nickname, Whistlin' Britches, a year ago. He has an amazing spirit and exudes utter joy when he sings. He also possesses the unique ability to pop and click his tongue, something many try to imitate when they hear him.  He says, "It is great being part of Music Maker and meeting different artists. I love it to the death. I love knowing that we are trying to help people."

Warehouse Blues 2009

July 31                 Drink Small with Profit and Sandridge

August 7            John Dee Holeman with Abe Reid and Jake Hollifield

August 14          Adolphus Bell and Dr. Burt

August 21          Mudcat

August 28          Boo Hanks and George Higgs

September 4    Cool John Ferguson

Warehouse Blues is sponsored by Durham Parks and Recreation in partnership with Music Maker Relief Foundation and West Village.

The summer edition (June-August) of Play More, DPR's programming guide, is now available!

Pick up a copy at your nearest recreation center or see it online at:

www.durhamnc.gov/departments/parks .

Have you recently attended a Durham Parks and Recreation special event?

(Earth Day, Bimbé, Third Friday on the CCB Plaza, Warehouse Blues)

Please take a minute to fill out an online evaluation to help us improve our programming.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=KVNWxPbivnRsNKSoSwMVMg_3d_3d

Durham Parks and Recreation provides opportunities for our community to Play More!

Durham Parks and Recreation 400 Cleveland St., Durham, NC 27701 (919) 560-4355 * www.durhamnc.gov/departments/parks

Annette L. Smith

Administrative Analyst

Durham Parks and Recreation

P:  919-560-4355 x27214

F:  919-560-4021

Annette.smith at durhamnc.gov

www.durhamnc.gov

Durham Parks and Recreation provides opportunities for our community to Play More!