[Durham INC] Holiday Wish List for Local People and Dogs in Need

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 10:55:40 EST 2009

Holiday Wish List for Local People and Dogs in Need

Durham Crisis Response Center (919) 489-3654 x22
http://www.durhamcrisisresponse.org/
"Works with the community to end domestic and sexual violence through
advocacy, education, support and prevention.²
Wish List: http://www.durhamcrisisresponse.org/donate.html

Durham Interfaith Hospitality Network (DIHN) (919) 682-2846
http://www.dihn.org/
1216 N. Roxboro St., Durham NC 27701
³Provides emergency shelter and support to homeless families. DIHN partners
with over 30 local congregations which provide overnight accommodations,
meals and transportation for our guests on a rotating basis.²
Wish List: http://www.dihn.org/23395/23458.html

Genesis Home (919) 683-5878                   http://www.genesishome.org/
300 N Queen St., Durham NC 27701
³Works to end homelessness for families with children and young adults by
providing housing and supportive services to foster independence. Since
1989, the agency has provided a safe, stable place where families can come
together, rebuild their lives, and prepare for permanent housing in the
community.²
Wish List: http://www.genesishome.org/don-waystohelp/
Groups and organizations needed to adopt their families for the holidays
(please call to find out their needs); volunteers to read books to the kids.

Housing for New Hope (919) 489-6282
18 West Colony Place, Suite 250, Durham, NC 27705
³Encourages and assists homeless people and other persons in crisis to move
toward lives marked by increased levels of stability, dignity, hope and
independence.²
Donations: http://housingfornewhope.org/How-You-Can-Help.164.0.html. For
more information about giving opportunities, contact Eric Breit, development
director: (919) 724-0578, eric at housingfornewhope.org.

Inter-Faith Council for Social Service
http://www.ifcweb.org/
³The Inter-Faith Council for Social Service meets basic needs and helps
individuals and families achieve their goals. We provide shelter, food,
direct services, advocacy and information to people in need. We accomplish
this through strong partnerships with volunteers, staff and those we serve.
We rely on the active involvement of caring individuals, congregations and
other community organizations. Please make sure your food donations are not
expired and do not contain alcohol. If you are making a large donation,
please notify us ahead of time.²
PANTRY: Mon. ­ Fri., 9 am - 5 pm: 110 W Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510:
Kristin Lavergne: 929-6380 x41, servicesdirector at ifcmailbox.org. On
weekends, drop off at the Community Kitchen.
COMMUNITY KITCHEN (open daily): 100 W. Rosemary St., Chapel Hill, NC 27516
(corner of MLK): Donna Bradley 967-0643, x15: kitchen at ifcmailbox.org
Wish List: http://www.ifcweb.org/contribute.html
Holiday Meal Contribution of $25: http://www.ifcweb.org/holidaymeals.html

Salvation Army (919) 477-5457
http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/
124 Latta Rd., Durham, NC 27701
In Durham, Orange, and Person counties, serves: 1) At-risk children
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/83
4C434F65D03C6D852574A5006403AB?Opendocument> , ages 6-18; 2) People
threatened with homelessness
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/2E
64AB7AFE6DFA0F852574A500601B1C?Opendocument> : Emergency rent and utility
assistance keeps a roof over their heads; 3) People in immediate need
<http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/2E
64AB7AFE6DFA0F852574A500601B1C?Opendocument> .
Urgent Needs:
http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_durham.nsf/vw-sublinks/2ED41014
5FC0F0DD852575B700704963?openDocument

Threshold Clubhouse (919) 682-4124
http://www.thresholdclubhouse.org/
609 Gary St., Durham, NC 27703
³Helps adults in Durham, NC with severe mental illness stay out of the
hospital, succeed at work, advance their education, and reach their goals.
In 2008 Threshold helped 119 members avoid rehospitalization.²
Wish list: http://www.thresholdclubhouse.org/donate/wish-list
http://www.thresholdclubhouse.org/donate

TROSA (919) 419-1059         http://trosainc.org/
1820 James St., Durham, NC 27707
TROSA is an innovative, multi-year residential program that enables
substance abusers to be productive, recovering individuals by providing
comprehensive treatment, work-based vocational training, education, and
continuing care.
Donations: http://trosainc.org/support/index.htm

Urban Ministries (919) 682-0538            http://www.umdurham.org/
112 N Queen St., Durham, NC 27701
³We believe that no one should be without food, clean clothing or a safe
place to sleep. We have created a welcoming, caring and compassionate
environment where people can heal, find hope and begin to rebuild their
lives.²
Deanna Kleiss: 919-682-0538 x35
Donations: http://www.umdurham.org/how-you-can-help

PETS

Animal Protection Society of Durham            (919) 560-0640
http://www.apsofdurham.org/
2117 E. Club Blvd., Durham, NC 27704
The mission of the APS of Durham is to educate the public about the humane
care, treatment and well-being of all animals, to help stop pet
overpopulation through the promotion of spay/neuter programs, and to find
suitable adoptive homes for the animals in our care.
Wish List:
http://www.apsofdurham.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/wish-list.pdf

Coalition to Unchain Dogs
http://www.unchaindogs.net/
PO Box 3259, Durham, NC 27715
³A non-profit, volunteer effort dedicated to improving the welfare of dogs
living outdoors on chains. We have freed over 400 dogs from their chains,
but many more are still waiting. Since we are an all-volunteer organization,
100% of your donation goes to helping local dogs get unchained!²
Wish List: http://www.unchaindogs.net/donations.shtml

Compiled by Laura Drey
December 13, 2009