[Durham INC] Durham Solid Waste Collections Delayed One Day

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Mon Feb 1 19:45:47 EST 2010

CITY OF DURHAM

Office of Public Affairs

101 City Hall Plaza

Durham, NC 27701

News Release

For Details, Contact:

Beverly B. Thompson

Public Affairs Director

(919) 560-4123 x 11229

(919) 475-2362 (cell)

Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov

For Immediate Release:  February 1, 2010

Slippery Roads Delay All Solid Waste Collections By One Day

Durham Residents Urged to Place Carts Curbside by 7 a.m.

DURHAM, N.C. - Due to continued icy road conditions, solid waste
collections are delayed by one day for all customers.  Customers are
urged to go ahead and place their carts on the curb by 7 a.m. the day
after their normal collection day.  In addition, bulky item and yard
waste collection is cancelled for this week, and will resume next week,
weather permitting.

"The safety of our employees and the public, especially on the secondary
roads, continues to be our primary concern," said Robert Williams,
acting director of the City's Department of Solid Waste Management.  "We
are continuously assessing streets, especially neighborhood streets, to
make sure our trucks can travel on them safely and that they can
maneuver as needed for collection purposes.  We will do our best to keep
customers informed about our schedule this week since we are delayed by
one day, we do ask for their patience during this winter weather."

City streets are improving, but overnight freezing temperatures coupled
with the predicted freezing rain Tuesday morning, are delaying the
melting process.  Customers should also refer to the City's Web site at
www.durhamnc.gov, call Durham One Call at 560-1200, or tune into DTV8
for updated information about collection schedules.

###