[Durham INC] Durham Solid Waste Collections Delayed Two Days

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Tue Feb 2 17:18:22 EST 2010

CITY OF DURHAM

Office of Public Affairs

101 City Hall Plaza

Durham, NC 27701

News Release

For Details, Contact:

Beverly B. Thompson

Public Affairs Director

(919) 560-4123 x 11229

(919) 475-2362 (cell)

Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov

For Immediate Release:  February 2, 2010

Icy Roads Continue to Delay Solid Waste Collections

Durham Residents Urged to Leave Carts Curbside; Collection Now Two Days
Behind Normal Schedule

DURHAM, N.C. - Due to continued icy road conditions on many of Durham's
secondary streets, solid waste collections are now delayed by two days
for all customers.  Customers are urged to go ahead and place their
carts on the curb by 7 a.m. the day of their normal collection and leave
their carts curbside until after collection crews come through.  In
addition, exempt garbage and recycling collections as well as bulky item
and yard waste collections are cancelled for this week, and will resume
next week, weather permitting.

"The safety of our employees and the public, especially on the secondary
roads, continues to be our primary concern," said Robert Williams,
acting director of the City's Department of Solid Waste Management.  "We
are continuously assessing streets, especially our neighborhood streets,
to make sure our trucks can travel on them safely and that they can
maneuver as needed for collection purposes. This morning, we did not
feel like the streets were passable enough for us to safely collect
garbage and recycling carts.  Right now, we are now two days behind
schedule and plan to work this weekend to catch up.  We ask for
continued patience by our customers as we try to catch up the remainder
of this week and this weekend."

Customers should also refer to the City's Web site at www.durhamnc.gov,
call Durham One Call at 560-1200, or tune into DTV8 for updated
information about collection schedules.

###