[Durham INC] Letter: State shouldn't roadblock jobs in Durham

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 10:30:43 EST 2010

Letter: State should help
Herald-Sun, 5 Feb 2010

Triangle Veterinary Emergency Clinic (TVEC) has planned to commit tens of thousands of dollars to upfit the abandoned warehouse in our Durham neighborhood, Turnage Heights, turning an eyesore into a first-class, neighborhood-friendly business. TVEC's move also promises to bring in much-needed local jobs. However, NCDOT has recently roadblocked this effort with requirements for a turning lane and the moving of sewer lines associated with lane-widening at a cost of over $300,000. Such costs are too onerous for a small business to shoulder, especially in this economy.

Neighbors in Turnage Heights are asking NCDOT to remove this roadblock. We want Triangle Vet Emergency Clinic to move into our neighborhood and our local economy desperately needs the jobs. State officials must do whatever is necessary to support efforts by good small business, like TVEC, to revive our economy.

In Durham, Gov. Perdue told the state's city managers, "No matter how small or large, if I can help you get a business in your area, call me." Here's your chance, Gov. Perdue. Please help.

Will Robinson
Durham