[Durham INC] NCDOT Action on Morreene Road

Mike Woodard mike at mikewoodard.com
Fri Feb 5 12:24:14 EST 2010

I met with the City Transportation staff and NCDOT board member Chuck
Watts yesterday. Here is what I know at this point:

1) Chuck Watts is fully aware of this issue and has been briefed by
NCDOT staff. There is no need to contact him now. He also agreed that
contacting other officials in Raleigh is premature.

2) TVEC's engineers met with NCDOT's senior staff Wednesday. The
division engineers agreed to review the earlier requirement of a
left-turn lane into the clinic's driveway. We expect an answer in the
next couple of weeks. The City Transportation staff has been actively
working on this case with NCDOT and has questioned the rationale for
a left-turn lane.

As I suggested yesterday, we should allow NCDOT time to reconsider
its request and work with the City staff on a resolution. Working
with both staffs, I will stay on top of this issue and share
information as I learn it.

Mike Woodard
Durham City Council