[Durham INC] Lets stop insulting city employees: let's help the City with ideas...

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Fri Mar 5 08:41:59 EST 2010

Randy and fellow citizens.

Cut the advertising on the fleet. Fine. Cut down the size of the fleet.
Fine. But I must take exception to the suggestion and tone of item #3
here. First, in a recession where millions of Americans have lost jobs,
including some of our friends and neighbors, to snidely call for the
termination of city employees in a public listserv like this is not even
remotely funny. The people whose jobs you're glibly threatening here are
neighbors and colleagues and people likely to be answering the phones to
respond to your demands and inquiries. After reading this, I know how I
would respond to you were I an employee--so thank God I'm not and those
who are will maintain a professional demeanor with you.

Moreover, given the staff reductions that have already occurred through
elimination and vacancy of empty positions, many of the front line
workers in these jobs have already had to take on additional job
responsibilities--usually with no financial compensation--and many
offices are already, as you say, "lean." Perhaps part of what's making
you unhappy with city employees is that many are already working hard
every day and cannot keep up with the demand for more and more services
from fewer staff with less resources.

It is true that you can sometimes encounter an employee--at the city or
anywhere else--who is having a bad day and whose attitude or performance
may be less that excellent. However, in my experience, this is the
exception rather than the rule when I've had to deal with Durham city
employees. I've had workers and administrators from several city
departments contact me to follow up on Durham One-Call reports I've
filed . . . . and on one occasion this call came on a Saturday morning.

I encourage the city council, manager, and budget department to do
everything they can to avoid any layoffs.

Best,
Kelly Jarrett