[Durham INC] let's help the City with ideas...

scjdurham at aol.com scjdurham at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 11:17:25 EST 2010

Here's a novel idea.  Let's raise occupancy taxes on hotel rooms, bring
back that prepared food tax, come up with some sort of entertainment
tax, etc.

A huge percentage of non-Durhamites come here to work and take their
money home to their municipality.  But we pay to protect them when
they're here including police, fire, EMS and don't forget about the
road use going back and forth from their city to ours.  They are very
welcome here but it would be nice if they paid their fair share.

Some of the above items would be listed under discretionary spending.
Folks can decide whether it's how they want to spend their excess $$ or
not.

Property taxes really hurt those on limited incomes, living on their
social security benefits, living on unemployment compensation or who
have just timed out their unemployment or simply can not secure a
higher paying job.

Food for thought.

Cheryl Shiflett