[Durham INC] no ideas yet...

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 07:50:52 EST 2010

My new line is that our ability to do things through government is as as overcommitted as the Colorado River Water (plus with the deferred maintenance, we have been doing the equivalent of mining non-replaceable aquifer water).  We hear over and over that there just isn't money for all the things we feel we need to do.  And in a lot of cases, it will cost a lot of money up front to save some money over the long term (the concrete things like making buildings more energy efficient and the less concrete things like getting more kids working at grade level so they they're not such easy prey for the gang recruiters).
One of the things I heard at the workshop last week was that citizens would be willing to pitch in to do more for themselves (and it would be neighborhood-building for neighbors to work together on some things), but government makes it too hard.  I think we need to think hard about what we have learned from Community Oriented Policing and apply it more broadly.  For example, maybe Parks and Rec needs fewer doers and more people who can organize the community to do stuff.
Regards, pat