[Durham INC] let's help the City with ideas...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 19:26:08 EST 2010

Mike

We should talk about the idea of DPPI operating Duke Park, but that  wasn't
the idea that Randy floated.
Here's his idea again: "Sell some parks (we have 66 I believe). It
shouldn't cause any alarm for those in Northgate, Rockwood, Forest Hills (or any
of the parks built in bottoms and being mostly in a flood plain), but look at
 Duke Park. It's high and dry and full of beautiful mature oaks. What a
pretty  subdivision that would be."  (Was tempted to ask Randy, since his
suggestion shouldn't cause any alarm in those three parks, should it cause
alarm in Duke Park?)

He specifically eliminated the park his home faces, Forest Hills, since
it's in a flood plain. He picks Duke Park to become the pretty residential
subdivision. This would mean ignoring the restrictions set forth when Brodie
Duke donated the land, but the whole idea is too ridiculous to even continue
 speaking about it.

Your idea, which seems quite different, is worthy of discussion.
Non-profits have some distinct advantages, from tax benefits for donors,  attracting
volunteers, grants, and in-kind donations. Recently heard of one  I'd have a
hard time describing, but it addresses refurbishing historic  buildings and
capturing historic tax credits.
The bath house at Duke Park is a fine example, because the City is tax
exempt, and so is the non-profit (DPPI) that would like to restore it into a
community center. So neither organization is interested in tax credits.

 Say the renovation is $1,000,000, and the City and DPPI can only chip  in
half that amount together. To raise the additional $500k, a for profit
company is created to see the project through, but also to collect the
available tax credits. Ten individuals contribute $50k each, but  each receives tax
credits worth $65k when the project is  complete. That's probably a poor
description of how it works.

 Should the city consider turning the maintenance over to the
neighborhood, especially some of these tiny parks no larger than a residential  lot? If
the neighborhood can show it can handle the job, why not?
Sell park land to become residential property? I can't think of any
neighborhoods with such a surplus of parks, but I wondered what neighborhood has
four parks, or even three.

 I'm certainly not familiar with all of Durham's park space, so maybe  the
idea has more merit than it seems. There are a few isolated examples that
make total sense, one is a little house that faces Northgate Park beside the
entrance to the dog park. A perfectly livable 2 bedroom, 1 bath house
that's  been vacant for years. It's actually on the multi acre parcel that
comprises the  dog park, but Ellerbee Creek naturally separates it from the dog
play area.  It should become an occupied and contributing property again, and
it's sale  would put some funds in the City's ailing piggy bank. IMHO

Bill

In a message dated 3/6/2010 5:55:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,