[Durham INC] Lawn & garden shop locals; Events: Full Frame & other movies; art; lectures & more

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 09:06:01 EDT 2010

I strongly recommend shopping local, independent stores for lawn and garden
supplies instead of big box stores. If you would like my list of businesses
I suggest as alternatives let me know.

--------------

Events

Tuesday, March 16, 12-1:30 p.m.

Diane Nilan / On the Edge; Work-in-Progress Screening & Discussion

Diane Nilan presents a short excerpt from On the Edge, a film looking at the
root causes and human consequences of homelessness. Featuring seven women
who lost their housing for a variety of reasons, the film gives a painfully
intimate look at the entwined connection between poverty, housing issues,
social problems, addictions, family crises, and gender-related injustices.
(Feel free to bring your lunch.)

Diane Nilan
Founder and president of HEAR US Inc. (www.hearus.us), Since 2005, Nilan¹s
cross-country journeys to non-urban communities have focused on chronicling
poverty and homelessness, particularly for invisible families and teens.

READ MORE & COMMENT: http://www.cdsporch.org/?p=1731

DIANE NILAN ON FACEBOOK:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/diane.nilan?ref=search&sid=597209408.221
8662672..1

------------

Wednesday, March 17, 12:00 - 1:00 PM

PERFORMING TRUTH & RECONCILIATION

Catherine Cole (Professor of Theater, Dance and Performance Studies, UC
Berkeley), Yael Farber (Playwright / Director, Farber Foundry Theater
Company), Anne-Maria Makhulu (Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology
and African & African American Studies, Duke University) and Cast members
from MoLoRa.

The company will stage two performances of MoLoRa, its acclaimed adaptation
of Aeschylus¹s Oresteia.  MoLoRa turns the ageless language of Greek tragedy
toward a particularly modern object ‹ South Africa¹s Truth and
Reconciliation Commission, when torturers and tortured confronted one
another in open court. As a white Klytemnestra and a black Elektra speak
testimony into dark spaces, a chorus of Ngqoko elders drones laments, an
unceasing, split-tone indictment that is devastating and beautiful at once.
In this tragedy for the global age, classical form and contemporary life
come into contact, throwing off sparks that are appropriate, since in
Sesotho, MoLoRa means ³ash.²

240 John Hope Franklin Center
(2204 Erwin Road) Durham

--------

Reception Friday, March 19, 6 ­ 9
March 19 ­ May 15

Faces/Time; new works by Laura Farrow

Claymakers 530-8355
705 Foster St. Durham

---------

Friday, April 2, 6 - 10pm
Saturdays & Sundays April 3 & 4, 10 & 11 10am - 6pm

Spring Pottery & Glass Festival with demonstrations

Cedar Creek Gallery
1150 Fleming Road, Creedmoor, NC 27522.

----------

April  8  - 11

Full Frame documentary Film Festival

³The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival is dedicated to the theatrical
exhibition of non-fiction cinemaŠ. [with] a four-day, morning to midnight
array of over 100 films as well as discussions, panels, and southern
hospitality.² (emphasis added)
<http://www.fullframefest.org/>

Passes are on sale until they sell out.
http://www.fullframefest.org/passes.php

For questions about volunteering contact volunteer at fullframefest.org
<mailto:volunteer at fullframefest.org>

Downtown Durham

------------

On display through April 17, 2010

Looking In, Looking Out photographs by John Rosenthal

Through This Lens, Inc.
303 E Chapel Hill St., Durham

----------

Thursday, April 22 6:30 -8:30 p.m. Stanford L. Warren Library Meeting Room
Thursday, May 13 6:30-8:30 p.m. Downtown Durham Main Library Auditorium

Pauli Murray Project COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS-- Our Durham: Our City, Our
Stories

Our vision is to build stronger ties between our Durham, North Carolina
communities through dialogue, education, storytelling and the creation of
new ways of telling our unique history. In this work we honor the legacy and
values of one of Durham's unsung heroes, lawyer, activist, poet and priest,
Pauli Murray. For more information go to http://www.paulimurrayproject.com/
or contact Barbara Lau balau at duke.edu

Ongoing Events

3rd Friday  6 until

Downtown Durham¹s monthly art, music, theater, and social event. Artists in
various mediums showcase their work in downtown galleries, theatrical
spaces, restaurants and nightclubs. All events are open to the public. Enjoy
parties and receptions. For the most up-to-date listing of events, along
with maps and complete event details
<http://www.thirdfridaydurham.com/fridays/view>