[Durham INC] County Budget (fund raising ideas)

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Mar 24 22:19:48 EDT 2010

I pretty much have to concur with County Manager Ruffin as to what is in
the bank and why it is there. That's sort of a dead issue as far as having
a rainy day fund. The rain is already falling if you've been paying
attention. And some major storms are on the radar screen...

But there are some ways to generate more money for the schools. We just
have to get the right employees (or get the ones we have to do their
jobs). Here's my example that I have been trying to get fixed for almost a
year now. The Planning Department employee (Inspector) whose job it is to
enforce ordinances and codes says "he'd rather get compliance than give a
citation". Therein lies the problem. His time is better spent (4 days a
week if necessary) getting these violators fined for the violations. In
almost a year I have seen very little compliance. In some cases, the money
(from the fines) goes directly to the School System (to the tune of $500
increments per violation!). He could have either collected thousands of
dollars (in the year I have been trying to clean the roadside violations I
travel to the farm on) or have gotten compliance. He has done neither. For
the City, Neighborhood Improvement Services did make a small dent in the
list I gave them, but the Inspector from Planning and Zoning has a serious
problem when it comes to finding anything he has accomplished (just
relative to my interactions with him). I would have to give him a very
poor job performance rating. And all the time he could have been earning
money for the School System or cleaning up our community. Both positive
things!

I had the pleasure of experiencing Solid Waste Durham County style this
past week. I was shocked to learn that they do not recycle metal (other
than a few white goods that the attendant said would be gone in the
morning because someone steals them regularly (for scrap metal I assume).
The State pays the municipalities for the disposal of white goods so we're
(taxpayers) losing money here. And if other metal was captured from the
waste stream, it too could be recycled for a profit (as the City does).
Instead the County sends a valuable resource like scrap metal to Virginia
for disposal (all waste in Durham goes to the same place) and pays to
throw it away. I found Station 4 on Redwood Rd. Was a real pain to unload
from. It is set up for side unloading when all trucks load from the rear.
This was really a pain if you had a load as I did. But they do recycle
oyster shells. I guess there is more money in them than scrap metal...

They need to get rid of the Inspectors who see compliance as the method of
choice for dealing with code and ordinance violations and get some pit
bulls in there to start collecting money (while cleaning up Durham!). And
recycling metal would add revenue. It may not be enough to save 400
teacher jobs, but some of the teachers I have seen need to be replaced. So
maybe getting rid of the bad ones in a budget crunch really won't hurt the
educational process of children. I've never had kids, but I've always paid
for their education through taxes. So getting rid of some under-performing
teachers may not be a bad idea. Like I've said before (and get heat when I
say it every time...), reduction in employees is not always a bad idea. I
think (like the Inspector story I mention above) that a lot of employees
get into this comfort zone where they take their jobs for granted and tend
to coast. Maybe this will be a wake up call that a new day is coming
whereby someone actually sees that people are actually doing their jobs.
And not just from the bottom up, but also from the top down. The old joke
of messing up so bad they promote you is not too far off base for a few...

RWP
27 Beverly

> Over 400 citizens showed up for the conversations with council last night,
> and most of them were there to plead with the county not to cut the school
> budget AGAIN, and particularly not to eliminate one, single teacher's
> position.
>
> It was a great turnout, and I hope that we here in South Durham can  have
> at least as good of a showing at the next public meeting with
> commissioners (Jordan High, March 30, 7 PM). This is especially important,
> since it is presumed that the big turnout last night was because of a
> letter sent out by the Durham PTA president, which the county claims
> mislead the public.
>
> For more details concerning DPS budget cuts under consideration this year,
> please see the following website:
>
> http://jordan.dpsnc.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=474&Itemid=1
> For information regarding the controversial 'rainy day fund,' which the
> county refuses to tap into to help our schools weather this storm, please
> see the news article and link below. After talking with several people
> more informed than I, I discovered that this rainy day fund is not only
> for schools, but for many Durham services and infrastructure (like a
> neighborhood's Reserve account), and I now feel that Durham should find
> ways to continue to invest in our citizens' education without having to
> tap this important savings account.
>
> What we need most are pleas to spare cuts to our school system,
> particularly teachers positions and salaries and classroom supplies, which
> include suggestions for other areas where cuts can be made, or areas where
> revenue can be raised (see the comment below). You can email your
> commissioners and school board members at:
>
> Commissioners:
> MPage at co.durham.nc.us; ereckhow at co.durham.nc.us; jbowser at co.durham.nc.us;
> BHeron at co.durham.nc.us; bhowerton at co.durham.nc.us;
> mruffin at co.durham.nc.us
>
> School Board:
> minnie.forte-brown at dpsnc.net, heidi.carter at dpsnc.net,
> omega.curtis-parker at dpsnc.net, fredrick.davis at dpsnc.net,
> kirsten.kainz at dpsnc.net, stephen.martin at dpsnc.net,
> leigh.bordley at dpsnc.net, hank.hurd at dpsnc.net
>
> please remove any spaces in the above email (they sometimes get slipped in
> there upon transmission).
>
> Thanks!
> Melissa (Rooney)
>

> __________________________
>
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com%2Fview%2Ffull_story%2F6803702%2Farticle-County-denies-surplus-claim%3Finstance%3Dhomethirdleft&rct=j&q=herald+sun+rainy+day+&ei=41SqS-rcIsa0tgf0gpH8DA&usg=AFQjCNEb_8Td58VH_R1kOVAmXRDWjuvyjA
>

> County denies surplus claim
> 1 day 15 hrs ago | 582 views | 0  | 9  |  |
> By Ray Gronberg
>
> gronberg at heraldsun.com; 419-6648
>
> DURHAM
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.