[Durham INC] Planning staff now favors [751 Ass.] rezoning

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 14:48:23 EDT 2010

See the HS article below. And please pass this info on to every Durham citizen you know.

In a nutshell, the Planning Dept has reversed their decision and is now recommending approval for the 751 Ass. project adjacent to Jordan Lake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Citizen communication with the planning department (PD) has resulted in the following PD statements:

1. "We have acknowledged in the staff report that there is conflicting direction contained in the Durham Comprehensive Plan. That the FLUM does
in fact indicate a residential land use designation at a much lower density from what is being proposed."

"Staff has pointed out that one area of concern is the intensity/density of the project as related to the existing land use pattern and the FLUM."

2. The planning department is "limited in [its] role to making a recommendation solely based on the compliance of a project to the UDO and the Comprehensive Plan."

3. "However there is a written policy which basically states that mixed use developments within the suburban tier should be encouraged where one of the uses is reflected on the FLUM (in this case residential is shown as one of the proposed uses). As this is a written policy practice has been to give these more emphasis."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My question is this; If the PD must make a recommendation based on compliance to the UDO and The Comprehensive Plan, why is it that the Comp. Plan/ FLUM's  'encouragement' of 'mixed use developments' trumps the same Comp. Plan/FLUM's 'indication' of a 'residential land use designation at a much lower density from what is being proposed"? The former argument is being used to support the developer's rezoning, while the latter apparently lacks the same import to be used to oppose the developer's rezoning.

Am I the only one confused by the inconsistency here?

* Furthermore, there has been no indication that the developers have committed to BUILDING (not just planning for) a residential component (homes) BEFORE they build any retail here.
    Nor is there any mention of the developers committing to restricting the maximum size of a single given retail space.
    A lack of commitment to these two points essentially means that, should this rezoning pass (and certainly should the land be 'flipped'/sold to another party) this development could turn into just another big box strip mall, with little to no residentical component.

Thus, unless the developers commit to the above things, the planning department should still recommend denial because the developers are avoiding true commitments to put in a TRULY mixed-use development here. In other words, we have another loophole folks.

* With regard to the land being donated for a school -- does this 'donated land' still contain county and state designated wilderness/environmentally-sensitive areas, such that if Durham were to build a school here it would have the same problems that the planning department has now said the developers have solved?

* Finally, the developers apparently still won't commit to abiding by the Jordan Lake rules when they are finally implemented. Doesn't instill much confidence in their assurances that this development will have NO adverse impact on Jordan Lake, does it?

All of this needs to be pointed out to the commissioners. Unless the developers commit to the above things, the planning department should still recommend denial based on lack of fulfillment of the intent (as well as specific statements) of the comprehensive plan and based on the development's lack of accountability regarding the Jordan Lake Cleanup Rules, for which we tax payers will have to pay.

Please write the planning director, the county commissioners (and cc the city council) with your concerns. Here's the contact info (remove any spaces that may sneak into these email addresses):

beckymheron at nc.rr.com;  ereckhow at gmail.com;  bhowerton at co.durham.nc.us; jbowser2 at nc.rr.com;  mdelanopage at aol.com; steve.medlin at durhamnc.gov; mruffin at co.durham.nc.us;

council at ci.durham.nc.us; Bill.Bell at durhamnc.gov; tom.bonfield at durhamnc.govEugene.Brown at durhamnc.gov;  Cora.Cole-McFadden at durhamnc.gov;  farad.ali at durhamnc.gov;  diane.catotti at durhamnc.gov;  Howard.Clement at durhamnc.gov;  mike.woodard at durhamnc.gov;

Thanks for your involvement and your persistence!
Melissa (Rooney)