[Durham INC] [owdna] [Fwd: If you thought the BOCC were sleaze-balls, check this out] [1 Attachment]

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:20:07 EDT 2010

The protest petition rule I understood said that you needed to get 20% of a side.  This works out to be about the same for a square property.  But it also means that property owners on a short side of a parcel need to get more than 20% of their side, and it's not uncommon for a lot of the negative impact to be on just one side.  And it is easier to organize your immediate neighbors than a scattering of people around your area.  Both of these may not matter much in a well-organized neighborhood, but is more of a problem when a lot of the parcel boundary is, say Corps of Engineering Land.
The new rule does make it simpler in some cases -- like you no longer need to figure out what one side of circular parcel will be.
I think it could open up other mischief -- like a developer dividing property into 2 pieces and creating a lot of boundary that he controls.
umm, maybe I over-reacted.
Regards, pat