[Durham INC] N&O Durham News Guest Column: Community supports Durham billboard ban

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Wed Jun 30 09:33:47 EDT 2010

Community supports Durham billboard ban (Guest column in today's N&O The
Durham News
<http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2010/06/30/202506/community-supports-durham-billboard.html>)
BY JOHN SCHELP
First the billboard industry writes a new ordinance that would undo
Durham's successful billboard ban, allow electronic billboards and open
the door to lawsuits from others wanting additional changes to our sign
ordinances. Then the billboard industry and its proxies give campaign
donations to local officials. Then the billboard industry gives sign
space to local nonprofits, so industry lobbyists can put pressure on
officials.

Now the billboard industry is orchestrating a mail campaign, sending
letters to elected officials, supporting their attempt to overturn our
billboard ban.

The letters are postmarked from Raleigh and mailed in Fairway envelopes
- as in Fairway Advertising, the company that helped write the measure
that would overturn Durham's existing billboard ban and bring electronic
billboards to our roadways.

Trying to buy votes, horse-trading with cash-strapped nonprofits to
pressure officials, this latest push using out-of-town postmarks - these
are the same tactics that the billboard industry uses in communities
across the country. It's all synthetic-roots campaigning at its finest.

And let's be clear, doling out free ad space is not a great sacrifice
for local billboard companies whose biggest client appears to be
"Billboard Available." Our elected officials are too smart to fall for
the billboard industry's manufactured letter campaign from Raleigh.

Durham citizens support our current ban on billboards by a 9:1 margin.
Durham's Environmental Affairs Board, the Herald-Sun, Planning
Commission and Durham's InterNeighborhood Council have all come out
against the billboard industry's measure. The Durham News published
three supportive political cartoons. The Independent Weekly posted a map
of all the billboards in Durham, showing one asking motorists why they
should patronize Durham businesses - when they can go elsewhere.
Neighborhoods from across the Bull City have endorsed our successful
billboard ban. Before the Joint City-County Planning Committee met,
local officials received more than 500 messages supporting Durham's
billboard ban (and only three for electronic billboards).

Seeing strong opposition in the community, billboard industry lobbyists
are now mailing so-called "facts" to Durham officials. One "fact" says
it's very safe to look at a billboard while driving. (Kind of like BP
lobbyists saying their oil spill is "very modest.")

Another fact says their measure would allow billboards to be moved. What
it doesn't say is the billboard industry's measure would also let
non-conforming billboards stay right where they are. Take a look around
Durham. Most billboards are in certain areas of town. (Look no farther
than the billboard in East Durham for a gun show in Raleigh.)

Billboards in Durham are now in violation. Once we make these
non-conforming billboards legal, the door is open. It can't be closed.
There's no compelling reason to overturn our successful ban on
billboards - and plenty of reasons not to.

Overturning the ban would open taxpayers to expensive legal fights.
(Just look at how long billboard lawyers have dragged out this one
ordinance measure.) We'd also have to pay the cost of all future
revenues for billboards that have to come down for road widening projects.

The City Council is scheduled to vote on the billboard industry's
measure on August 2; the county commissioners on August 9.

Why would any official jeopardize local funding for schools, police
protection, social services and libraries just so industry can erect big
bright billboards blinking 10,000 ads/day? Why would the council and
county commissioners vote for a measure that was written by billboard
industry lobbyists?

Officials should not stand by and allow our public landscapes to be
marred forever by a corporate giveaway to a private billboard company in
Georgia.

John Schelp lives in Durham. To see maps, photos and letters of support,
visitsupportdurhambillboardban.com
<http://supportdurhambillboardban.com> supportdurhambillboardban.com
<http://supportdurhambillboardban.com>