[Durham INC] BOCC Public Hearing on Billboard Ordinance: DO NOT POSTPONE!

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Thu Aug 5 10:35:33 EDT 2010

Folks,

After their resounding defeat at Monday's City Council meeting, it would
not surprise me if the Fairway & billboard industry representatives try
to postpone the County Commissioner's public hearing on the issue
scheduled for Monday, Aug. 9.

Fairway has been dragging this issue out for two years. Durham citizens
overwhelmingly support Durham's current billboard ordinance, as
evidenced by the DCVB survey results and the MORE THAN 1000 EMAILS we
have already sent to elected officials urging them to support the
current ordinance. Fairway's proposal to bring electronic billboards to
Durham has generated more emails to elected officials than any other issue.

Please take a moment to write the commissioners
(commissioners at durhamcountync.gov ) and let them know that you support
the current ordinance and that WE WANT CLOSURE ON THIS ISSUE NOW.

We learned at the City Council meeting that Fairway has no employees in
Durham. So these elected officials will get no votes from Fairway in
future elections. But WE live AND VOTE here. BOCC members would be well
advised to remember this if they are approached by Fairway and asked to
postpone this public hearing and as they consider how they will vote on
this issue.

Thanks also to those on the BOCC who stand with us. We will remember.

Kelly Jarrett