[Durham INC] Falls Lake --

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 23:25:46 EDT 2010

FYI -- Melissa

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "Elizabeth Ouzts, Environment North Carolina Director"
<action at environmentnorthcarolina.org>
To: Melissa Rooney <mmr121570 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thu, August 5, 2010 3:58:08 PM
Subject: Go jump in a lake

Hi Melissa,
With the hottest July in recent memory behind us -- and August looking pretty
warm itself -- I'd like to jump in a lake right about now. Usually, Falls Lake
is a great place to do just that.
But algae blooms have already caused beach closings at Falls Lake several times
this year -- and they also affect the quality of our drinking water, and choke
fish and other wildlife.
To save Falls Lake, state officials have developed a cleanup plan that will cut
the nitrogen and phosphorous that cause algae blooms by more than 70 percent
over the next several years.
Send them an e-mail to support this plan to restore Falls Lake.
Detractors of the plan are arguing that not all parts of the lake deserve a
comprehensive cleanup.
But, in addition to drawing more than 750,000 visitors each year for swimming,
camping, fishing and hiking, Falls Lake also provides drinking water to nearly
half a million residents of Wake County.

But today, uncontrolled development is threatening its waters. More paved
surfaces create swift conduits for oil, dirt, and other pollutants to flow right
into the lake and the streams that feed it.
With opponents of the cleanup plan arguing loudly against it, state officials
need to hear from you.
Click the link below to send an e-mail  to state officials in support of their
Falls Lake cleanup plan.
http://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org/action/clean-water/falls-lake?id4=ES
Then, ask your family and friends to do the same.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Ouzts
Environment North Carolina Director
http://pirg.org/tools/http://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail with
your family and friends.

- to a Web page where you can remove yourself.