[Durham INC] Billboards!

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 13 20:52:49 EDT 2010

Dear Neighbors:

At 5:30 this evening, representatives of Fairway Outdoor Advertising
delivered to the Durham Planning Department a letter withdrawing their
request to change to Durham's strict billboard rules to allow digital
billboards.  This took the issue off the Board of County Commissioners'
agenda tonight and, I hope, off the community's worry list for some time to
come.  With the community so united against relaxing Durham's billboard
rules, the industry seems to have finally gotten the message.

Congratulations and thanks to all of you who wrote e-mails and letters, who
attended meetings and public hearings.  Let's all enjoy tonight's victory
while we can.  The billboard people are nothing if not persistent.  They'll
be back.  But for now, Durham, our Durham, the new Durham, is moving
forward.  The people are leading.  Rejoice!

Your neighbor,

Tom Miller