[Durham INC] [dukepark] This Sunday: Community Portrait of Durham! forget that last message...

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Thu Sep 30 01:32:49 EDT 2010

There were 2 emails about this from Mike. One did not have all the text
with it. I just read it to see if they were the same and the other one
says it's in Central Park. Still not a great deal of open space for a
whole bunch of folks (but generally more parking if you use the lot behind
the Farmers Market Pavillion and the deck a block away...

RWP

> Dear friends & neighbors,
>

> Remember when your mom used to pack you in the station wagon to go down
> Sears and get your family portrait taken by Olin Mills?    Well, now you
> have the chance to re-live your family portrait experience in  a much
> bigger, funkier way by being part of the Community Portrait of Durham!
>

> Durhamites from all zip codes are invited to gather at noon on Sun., Oct.
> 3, to form a human collage in Durham Central Park. An aerial photograph
> will be taken of participants, who will arrange into the form of the
> Durham city flag for a fun and funky community portrait. The photograph
> will be revealed at the upcoming Durham Arts Council exhibit, People You
> May Know: Contemporary Portraits, opening October 8th.
>

> And there will be a big ol' community party during the event to boot,  so
> come on out and have some FUN on Sunday!    More details are below.
>

>             Sent by: Durham Arts Council
>             Reply to the sender
>

>                   Residents to gather Oct. 3 for Durham community
> portrait-taken from the sky!
>
>                   Participants will use bodies, art, found objects to
> represent city flag
>

>                         MEDIA RELEASE
>

>                               Durham Community Portrait illustration by
> V.C. Rogers. Click image to visit Community
> Portrait of Durham blog.
>

>                         CONTACT:
>
>                         Chris Chinchar, organizer
>
>                         A Community Portrait of Durham
>
>                         Phone: 919.696.5430
>
>                         e-mail: cchinchar at gmail.com
>

>                         Durham, N.C. - Durhamites from all zip codes are
> invited to gather at noon on Sun., Oct. 3, to form
> a human collage in Durham Central Park. An aerial
> photograph will be taken of participants, who will
> arrange into the form of the Durham city flag for
> a fun and funky community portrait. The photograph
> will be revealed at the upcoming Durham Arts
> Council exhibit, People You May Know: Contemporary
> Portraits, opening Oct. 8.
>

>                         The event, which is free, is designed to capture
> the faces and spirits of those who make up this
> vibrant and diverse city. It also will bring
> awareness to the newly launched capital
> fundraising campaign for The Scrap Exchange, a
> community creative re-use center that has provided
> materials, programming and services to Durham for
> nearly 20 years. In its life, The Scrap Exchange
> has inspired thousands of children and adults to
> find new applications for reusable materials while
> diverting resources from landfills.
>

>                         A Community Portrait of Durham is a collaborative
> effort Durham volunteers and The Scrap Exchange
> and the Durham Arts Council. The photo will be
> followed by a celebration hosted by Bull City
> Forward, a downtown nonprofit organization in
> support of local social enterprise. Families are
> invited to bring their lounge chairs, picnics,
> hula hoops, Frisbees, games and good cheer for
> this "leave-no-trace" neighborhood party.
> Participants are kindly asked to take home
> everything they bring into the park. The goal of
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.