[Durham INC] INC Billboard Resolution

Anne Guyton annemguyton at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 20:40:56 EDT 2010

Good evening everyone,

Let me say upfront that I don't agree all billboards should be banned but I do
support banning electronic billboards.

I don't often voice an opinion on INC issues because I no longer have the
knowledge and insight gained by participating in the enlightening, lively and
informative discussions carried on at the monthly meetings.  Tonight, though, I
find myself moved to speak out, despite that handicap, by the words used in
billboard resolution Mike has cited.

My observation of INC, over many years, has been that folks respectfully agree
to disagree.  After all, many times on the very next issue, former opponents
find themselves on the same side.  This high standard of respect for all sides
has been a hallmark of  the INC.  Its one of the many reasons the INC's voice
and opinion is  respected by Durhamites of all persuasions, most especially our
elected officials.

In my opinion, resolutions, which are presented to our elected officials, should
clearly state both the facts and reasons for the INC's position in language that
conveys the intent, without being inflammatory.

The parts of the billboard resolution Mike cites below contain language that I,
personally, consider adversarial.  As one example consider the synonyms for the
word inimical - hostile,adverse,unfriendly,antagonistic,enemy,harmful.

I suggest something along the lines of this:

WHEREAS billboards have a negative impact on the beauty of North Carolina's
roads, communities and neighborhoods especially in our urban and metropolitan
areas; and
WHEREAS digital billboards with changeable lighted displays create a hazard on
our roads and highways by distracting drivers;

No more soapbox.  Have a great evening.

Respectfully,

Anne M. Guyton