[Durham INC] P.S. Stream Buffers

Tina tinamotley at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 4 20:07:18 EDT 2010

Would simply increasing the stream buffers by 50 feet help protect water
quality?  Since City Council just ruled against increasing the stream
buffers, let's consider this..  The more effective solution would be to
consider soil type and slope when calculating the amount of impervious
surface and stream buffers for a site.

What the developers don't want you to know is that they understand the
effects of soil type and slope.   It is factored into the requirement to
control 1 inch of rain in a 24 hour period.  They all use software that
can calculate the runoff volume based on site conditions.  Feel free to
ask a developer to verify this.

The developers lobby our elected officials to keep regulations at bay to
maximize profits.  Durham citizens and those downstream pay for these
poor decisions, whether it is increased stormwater fees or water
treatment plant costs to those downstream.

Here is a map of Durham.

The lower portion (red) of Durham is Triassic Basin soils which has low
permeability and erode easily when disturbed.  The lower part is also
the water supply watersheds for Jordan and Falls Lakes.  Durham allows
up to 70% impervious surface in this area.

The upper portion (light colored) of Durham is the watershed for Lake
Michie and Little River.  The impervious surface limitation is 6%.
Water and sewer are not allowed, so development is very restricted.  The
soils are generally better in the upper portion than the lower portion
of Durham.

Maybe the development community has a point..because simply increasing
the stream buffer by 50 feet wouldn't be nearly as effective as
calculating impervious surface limitations and stream buffers based on
soil type and slope.

With the high costs quoted by Durham's staff for improving water quality
in Jordan and Falls Lakes, surely our elected officials would want to do
what is most effective for protecting water quality and minimize costs
for Durham citizens.

Tina Motley-Pearson