[Durham INC] Urgent and important regarding ADT Alarm salesmen

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Nov 5 23:25:00 EDT 2010

Would a business license from the City not cover this? ADT has been in
business over on Old Chapel Hill Road for years. I used them for 20+ years
before switching to CPIseveral years ago.

Randy

> Just visited with a group of ADT Alarm system salesmen with Security Watch
> on their jackets.
>
> The first thing I did, was ask to see their Vendor's License. That's the
> first thing I hope ALL of you will do, regardless of your interest in
> buying
> a  system or not.
> They said they didn't know they needed one, but that they would buy them
> on
>  Monday.
>
> So they should NOT be going door to door in Durham this weekend, since
> it's too late to get their licenses.
>
> Each salesman should have their own license, and have it with them, or
> they
>  are committing a misdemeanor and Police should be called. See below.
>
> I explained to these fellows how "connected" we all are in Durham via  our
> five PACs, and neighborhood listservs, and they are likely to hear that
> question "DO YOU HAVE A VENDOR'S PERMIT?" on Monday, or if they continue
> to try
>  to sell this weekend without them.
>
> So please forward this message to PACs 1, 3, 4 & 5, and to each of your
> neighborhoods.
> Tell your neighbors who aren't on the listserv the question to ask: "DO
> YOU
>  HAVE A VENDOR'S PERMIT?"
>
> Thanks everyone,
>
> Bill  Anderson
> PAC2
>

> Sec.  30-233.  Enforcement of article;  remedies.
> (a)   Criminal remedies.  Conducting  business within this city without
> having paid the privilege license tax imposed  by this article, or without
> valid license issued pursuant to this article, is a  misdemeanor,
> punishable
> pursuant to G.S. 14-4. Each day  that a person conducts business in
> violation
> of this article is a separate  offense. Payment of a fine imposed in
> criminal
> proceedings pursuant to this  section does not relieve a person of
> liability for taxes imposed under this  article.
> (b)   Equitable remedies.  In addition to  the criminal remedies set forth
> in subsection (a) of this section, and pursuant  to G.S. 153A-123(d), the
> city may seek an injunction  against any person conducting a business in
> violation of this article.
> (Code  1982, App. A, § 33; Ord. No. 9167, 5-31-1990)
> Secs.  30-234--30-259.  Reserved.

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.