[Durham INC] P.S. Stream Buffers

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 7 10:53:02 EST 2010

Thanks Cheryl.
What we learned when we were looking at the proposed ordinance changes is that you need to reduce both velocity and amount of run-off.  Faster water carries more pollutants / nutrients, makes more erosion, and floods folks downstream.  Particularly worrisome is "sheet flow" (so much water going down a slope that friction is no longer much of a factor).
I am particularly interested in bringing back Mangum terraces (developed by James Priestly Mangum of Wake Forest in the late 19th century, but with Mangum being such a Durham name, we ought to be pioneers on this).  A Mangum terrace is an agriculture practice that puts a level area or slight up-slope every once in a while on a downslope to break up sheet flow.  I also think that curb-side gardens would be attractive additions to neighborhoods and, again, slow run-off into the streets.
Ideally we would get storm-water rebates for such "conservation practices," but that will probably take 10 years of research so they can put a $$ value on the impact of the practice.
Regards, pat