[Durham INC] P.S. Stream Buffers

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 15:18:33 EST 2010

The discussion b/w Cheryl and Pat is interesting and pertinent, no doubt. But
I'm still incredibly frustrated with the way particularly rural and suburban
citizens are constantly asked to 'compromise' with the development community and
not the other way around. I mean, if the 'environmentalists' (certainly those
which the increasingly negative connotation is meant to generalize) had their
way -- there would be a demand to save ALL trees that were not directly in the
line of building construction and associated root damage zones. So to the
'environmentalists,' a 100 foot buffer IS a significant compromise. I mean, look
at the protections that Chapel Hill and Cary (yes, CARY) have in place for
streams.

Jordan and Falls lakes are a mess. We citizens are having to pay the costs, and
the development community is perpetually avoiding accountability in this regard.
Every little bit of protection we can give these water sources helps -- much in
the same way that every little bit of money my family can save helps our
personal bottom line.

We need wider buffers AND we need the grass roots efforts including
rain-gardens, barrels, etc. In fact, it's clear we need even more than
this...including a lot of $ to clean up these water sources.

And why is the EEUDO committee deemed knowledgeable enough for other changes to
the UDO but not when it comes to stream buffers? Regardless of the reasons, this
committee was comprised of many (possibly a majority) with direct and indirect
connections to the development industry. I saw the paperwork they were given and
the discussion and arguments they had over the course of the many months that
they worked out these recommendations. I would think their recommendations ARE
the compromise (and that they are well researched).

Seems to me it's just that the developers want more, and they get paid to
further represent their interests at our local gov't meetings, whereas we
lay-citizens do not. And, of course, requiring more protection than mandated by
the state is not exactly a political move that is popular with developers and
associated special interests (builders, consultants, lawyers, etc.)...it's not
an easy move on the part of our elected officials. But that's why we elected
them right? To make these difficult decisions in the best interest of ALL their
constituents.

Just my frustrated interpretation of things.
I'm certainly interested in hearing where I'm deemed wrong here...

Melissa