[Durham INC] Warmer Weather Means Busy Road Crews In Wake and Durham Counties

Robertson, Ieshia Ieshia.Robertson at durhamnc.gov
Fri Dec 10 09:47:28 EST 2010

 I am forwarding this information to you on behalf of the N.C.
Department of Transportation (NCDOT).  If you have any questions or
concerns, please contact NCDOT at (919) 840-0914 or by email at
pgkeeter at ncdot.gov <mailto:pgkeeter at ncdot.gov>  or ccapehart at ncdot.gov
<mailto:ccapehart at ncdot.gov> .

Resending - please note the work referenced in earlier release dealing
with lane closures on I-40 between I-540 and the Durham Freeway on
Saturday has been postponed. Also note the addition of alternate routes
for Duke basketball fans who may be affected by the N.C. 751 work on
Saturday.

Dec. 9, 2010

Contact: Communications Office, (919) 733-2522

WARMER WEATHER MEANS BUSY ROAD CREWS

IN WAKE AND DURHAM COUNTIES

RALEIGH - The N.C. Department of Transportation urges motorists to use
caution as work crews take advantage of the forecasted warmer
temperatures through the weekend on several road projects in Wake and
Durham counties, weather permitting.. The recent cold spell has put
paving and road marking on hold as that type of work cannot be done when
the temperature is in the mid-40's or below.

*	Chapel Hill Street, Durham

	*	On Friday, the westbound lane of Chapel Hill Street
between Buchanan Street and Kent Street in Durham will be closed from 8
a.m. to 5 p.m. for pavement patching work that is part of the downtown
Durham resurfacing project. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Chapel
Hill Street at all times during the day. However, motorists traveling
westbound who want to access Duke University Road may want to take
Chapel Hill Street to the Durham Freeway (N.C. 147) to Swift Avenue to
Duke University Road.

*	N.C. 751, Durham

	*	Motorists using N.C. 751 (Cameron Boulevard) between the
traffic circle at Erwin Road and Duke University Road on Friday through
Sunday will see lane closures as the contractor will be paving the final
asphalt surface layer. On Friday, lane closures can be in place anytime
between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., while they can be in effect anytime on
Saturday or Sunday. However, because of the temperature restrictions,
it's possible the work will be limited to daytime hours. Fans attending
the Duke men's basketball game on Saturday may want to seek an alternate
route, such as U.S. 15/501 to Morreene Road to Towerview, I-85/N.C. 147
to Hillsborough Rd/Fulton Street to Erwin Road to Towerview/Circuit, or
N.C. 147 to East Chapel Hill Street to Duke University Road to Towerview
to get to Cameron Indoor Stadium.

*	I-40, Wake County

	*	Lane closures can be expected overnight Friday and
Saturday on I-40 eastbound between Harrison Avenue and U.S. 1/64 as
crews work on overhead signs Work is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. both
nights and is part of the project to widen 6.2 miles of I-40 from west
of Wade Avenue to east of the Jones Franklin Road crossover.

*	I-440, Raleigh

o    I-440 East and West in Raleigh will have lane restrictions on
Saturday and Sunday as crews put down pavement markings between the U.S.
64/264 Bypass (Exit 14) and the ramps for I-40, Poole Road and U.S.
64/264. No more than one lane will be closed at a time in either
direction, and there will be work vehicles and workers moving very
slowly along in some lanes as new markings are being put in place.
Because of the temperature restriction, work will get under way when the
temperature reaches the mid-40's and its expected to be completed by 5
p.m. each day.  The work is part of the project to resurface the
2.5-mile section of I-440.

*         I-85, Durham County

o    There will be intermittent lane closures along I-85 North and South
in Durham County on Saturday and Sunday between Cole Mill Road (Exit
173) and the Orange County line during daytime hours. Crews will be
installing plowable pavement reflectors. The lane closures will be
adjusted as the crews move to different sections of the interstate.

NCDOT reminds motorists to watch signs for construction information,
stay alert and obey the posted speed limit in work zones. Updated travel
information is available by calling 511 or online at
www.ncdot.gov/travel <http://www.ncdot.gov/travel> . In addition, NCDOT
now offers travel information on Twitter (for more information, go to
www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter <http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter> ).

***NCDOT***

Email correspondence to and from this sender is subject to the N.C.
Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.