[Durham INC] Governor's plan to cut the number of commissions

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:47:51 EST 2010

Apparently she is planning a HUGE cut in boards and commissions -- this from the Democratic Party:   [She proposes to] review and reduce the number of state boards and commissions to 150. Currently, more than 400 boards and commissions exist, with over 4,000 appointees, and more than half receive support from state-funded agencies.
Now, I suppose some of the boards are really antiquated or duplicates (I just found out Durham has a Boxing and Wrestling Commission because new members were just appointed to it -- who knew?) but a decrease by 2/3 seems like an immense opportunity for mischief.
Any thoughts on what boards or commissions we might need to be vocal about supporting?  Or just re-definitions of boards that are even more insidious?
Regards, pat