[Durham INC] FW: Updated Text Amendment for TC1000006, Commercial Infill

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 21 23:42:28 EST 2011

The City of Durham's Urban Growth Area has extended into Orange County
for more than a quarter-century  (1985).  It takes in almost a square
mile. A small amount was annexed in the 1990s.  It also extends into
Wake County, as does part of the City of Durham -- a swap with
Raleigh, which extends into Durham County (Brier Creek). A tiny part
of the UGA and of the City extends into Chatham County, because a
sewage pump station had to be located in Chatham to push the waste
uphill back to Durham County. And City policy says that wastewater
facilities serving parts of the City have to be included in the UGA
and annexed.

In turn,  the urban services boundary and Town limits of Chapel Hill
have extended into Durham County since 1969, the Morrisville Town
limits since sometime in the mid-1980s, and the Butner Town limits
since about 2007, after Butner was incorporated as a municipality.

So, lots of room for infill, and lots and lots of complications for
City-County merger.

Ed Harrison

Durham County resident starting in 1968;  Chapel Hill Town Council
Member since 2001.