[Durham INC] don't go throwing away your toothpaste just yet...

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Jan 26 02:37:11 EST 2011

Before you throw out all of your toiletries... My dog gives antimicrobials
two paws up. My cat says they're purrrrrfect. I use them every day.

It amounts to <1% of these products active ingredient. Ever thought about
what the other 99% is? Recently, with the growing problem of the MRSA
strains of bacteria, a 2% active ingredient solution of this compound was
used to kill the bacteria on skin. 2%; it works so good for what it does.
It's a very stable compound which is what makes it so good. Celebrating
it's 40th year of use (next year), it's safety record is unparalleled. It
is one of the most highly tested compounds made. Triclosan is regulated by
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection
Agency, and the European Union. Can it really be that bad...? And as a
pesticide? Only in anti-microbial situations. Looking for alternatives?
Nonorganic antibiotics and organic biocides are effective alternatives to
triclosan, such as silver and copper ions and nanoparticles. Lost you
yet...

Because of its broad use in consumer products, triclosan has in some ways
become the flash point for stereotypical examples of antimicrobial excess
in consumer products. Commercially the validity of its use or overuse is
an ongoing debate. The scientific details of its safety have provided NO
consistent indications of health or safety issues. As with many such
topics, it is recommended that for those interested, they review the
details of the studies on both sides of the argument. As a guide to those
interested in this topic, it is recommended that a review of full article
histories and the DETAILS of the science involved be understood.
C12H7Cl3O2; a specific ion, misplaced, can sometimes cause great harm (in
a lot of compounds, not just this one).

Wait until you read about it related to furans and dioxins. If you know
what these are, then by now you're getting really excited. Sit back
down... Not all furans and dioxins are bad. Of the 210 dioxin and furan
family compounds, only 17 are considered to be of public health concern.
This is not one of them, but they're still studying it because safety
(with anything) is a real concern (as it should be). See how complex a
statement can be and how much of a different opinion one can have...

But if you're reading this, breathing the air around you should be of
great concern (since it's necessary for life). Did you know we live in an
area that has miserable air? In fact, they say we can't even get to good
air around here; it is non-attainable. So before you worry about some
highly-regulated-heavily tested-time proven-compound in your toothpaste
(and this is really the only place science has found it works well;
because of a particular gum disease it prevents), do something positive
for the air around you. Ride a bike, walk, or use public transit to get to
your next destination. Sure it may take a little longer depending on what
method of transport you choose, but it's about the air! And without it...

Randy Pickle

> I have banned antibacterial soaps from my house for a while now. It would
> be
> great if you would do the same and ask others to do so. See below for
> pertinent
> info.
> Melissa (Rooney)

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.