[Durham INC] School Budget Meeting (last night) -- coverage and some things to consider

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 12:43:09 EST 2011

BCR has a great summary of the DARE/PTA school budget meeting last night:

http://www.bullcityrising.com/2011/02/bearish-dps-budget-projection-foreshadows-another-year-of-job-cut-local-tax-debates.html#more

We really need to lobby the state for:

1) flexibility with regard to how to use lottery money. Apparently it can only
be used for construction type things right now, so we can't pay for teachers
salaries or teaching supplies with this money.

2) Restore the sales tax refund for public schools.

3) Enable PTAs to NOT pay sales tax when they actually purchase things. Unlike
most places, right now the state requires that the PTAs pay the taxes and then
file a tax return every quarter requesting reimbursement for sales taxes paid in
the quarter.  This is usually too much work so no one does it and the state
keeps money that should be going to better local schools.

4) Require that there be quarterly counts of school populations so that charter
schools who take students and then return them to public schools do not continue
to receive funding for those students. Apparently, student populations are only
counted twice per year, and there are numerous cases where Charter schools
continue to get funding for students that are now at DPS schools.

5) Give the same requirements to Charters as Public schools with regard to
things like requiring public transportation and reduced/free lunches. If
Charters get public funds, then they should have to provide the same services to
low-income and special needs kids as the public schools. Charters may adopt this
idea, philosophically, but we need to require it in order to ensure it's put in
practice.

6) No vouchers (or whatever we're supposed to call them) to parents who
home-school or send their kids to private schools. They benefit from a better
educated Durham population as much as the rest of us do.

7) Since the state is reducing money for schools and increasing the
responsibilities (financial and otherwise) to localities, particularly with
regard to maintenance, construction, etc.,  it is only right the state also
relinquish much of the requirements they put upon localities in this regard. If
they aren't going to pay for it, the state should require it. For instance, we
should be able to build middle and highschools without having to build athletic
fields for each one. We have many public parks that go completely unutilized
during school hours. Things like marching band practice, football practice,
tennis practice, etc., don't happen during the school day and could use our
public parks instead of requiring these expensive and environmentally damaging
athletic fields on the school site.

8) This is more for the city and the county than the state -- stop charging
public schools to use park facilities and consider building future parks and
libraries near/at schools in order to enable more use of these facilities by
school students/teams/etc. And what about a hotel and/or RESTAURANT (as opposed
to prepared food) tax, so that we can get more financial help from the >60% of
nondurhamites that work in Durham (and spend most of their time here)?

9) School impact fees solely on NEW development (as opposed to the generalland
transfer tax that we currently can impose by referendum).

--Melissa