[Durham INC] Durham considering 'Development Agreements': Why isthis a bad idea?

Tina Motley tinamotley at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 19:38:25 EST 2011

Durham is progressive in many areas.  It is a diverse and interesting place
to live.  Durham has some pretty amazing citizens too.

But like all municipalities, Durham has growing pains.  Growth can be a
contentious issue for many reasons.  Durham doesn't allow developments in
its own watersheds of Lake Michie and Little River which makes up 1/5 of
Durham County.  The only place left to develop is the watersheds of Jordan
Lake and Falls Lake.  Durham has the opportunity to be leaders in protection
of these watersheds, but instead, the development community has been very
influential.maximizing their profits at costs to citizens (stormwater fees)
and those downstream (polluted water).

I wrote about the development agreements.  I'm not sure what Councilman
Woodard found inaccurate.  Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies you
find.

The General Assembly allowed development agreements in 2005.  The developers
would be allowed to use existing regulations at the time of the agreement,
not newly passed ordinances.

Durham didn't allow them, but is now considering them.

It has been noted that these agreements would have to abide by state and
federal laws.  Who is going to go through all these agreements and compare
them to the UDO and figure out which rules are based on state and federal
laws and which are based on local laws?  Which rules in the UDO were active
at the time of the agreement?  Can you see what a potential mess that is?
One of the agreements we researched was for 19 years.  Who in the world
would muddle through that?  Is this a nightmare for the planning department?

You can't always depend on federal rules.  The Clean Water Act has had no
teeth for a while.  Many municipalities fight rules, even federal rules.
Akron, Ohio had their stormwater and sewer connected and it was dumping in
the Cuyahoga River.  Akron said they couldn't afford to fix their mess. EPA
had to file a law suit against them.  EPA won.

Tina Motley-Pearson