[Durham INC] [oldnorthdurham] RE: [pac2] HB 554 and SB 683

Peter Katz peterkatz01 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 13:16:06 EDT 2011

Illustrative, yes.  Specious, no.

In fact I can't think of a better comparison than to the health department.
When you begin an endeavor such as a restaurant, you create a relationship
between yourself and your customers, just as landlords do with tenants,
where there are possible misalignment of incentives and asymmetries of
information which tend to prevent free-market solutions from being
effective.  Without rehashing previous arguments, whether any of us decides
to become the proprietor of a restaurant, or a landlord, we are ALL
consumers at one time or another.  Thus we decide as a community how we
expect to be treated as consumers and we set the guidelines for those who
choose to seek profits by becoming producers.  We then empower our
governmental agencies to see that these guidelines are fulfilled.

Accordingly, since these asymmetries and misaligned incentives presumably do
not occur in your kitchen at home (except perhaps in the special case of
people who suffer from multiple personalities;)) the health department does
not come to your house to inspect your kitchen and neither do minimum
housing inspectors.  For these reasons, I would argue that your analogy to
warrantless police searches is actually the one that is "specious".

Still, I thank you for taking such an active and involved interest in this
issue.  Regardless of whether we can eventually agree or not, I think if
more of us dedicate ourselves to thinking these issues through so rigorously
(as you clearly do) then Durham would certainly be a better place.

Peter Katz