[Durham INC] **INC War Funding & Gay Marriage Resolutions**

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 12 19:06:20 EDT 2011

In regards to Darius's first hope - nope, not enjoying this weather much at
 all. Wonder if the heat from this discussion is effecting it.

And before Darius brings out Exhibits B-Z, let me suggest that he is
correct that IF INC begins discussing national and global issues, there are
hundreds of possible discussions that could take place.
Is it a Pandora's Box as Darius is concerned about?
I don't think so, mostly because the box has been sitting there all  along.

Beware the assumption that any resolution has ever been forbidden. In
truth, anyone at any time could have brought an issue that could have sparked
this conversation. It hasn't happened much, or possibly at all, but there was
no  rule against it.

I liken the whole thing to each individual neighborhood listserv. Can we
discuss national politics on neighborhood listservs? Of course, but you
rarely  see much of that. There is no one standing guard over neighborhood
listservs and  forbidding discussions of any kind. We are free people indeed.

Basically the neighborhood listservs are free to discuss whatever they
wish, and INC should allow anything that interests the neighborhoods to be
brought to the table. The spectrum should be as wide open as what topics are
ALLOWED to be discussed at neighborhood pot lucks.
While that might be anything, you might not find a lot of folks who want to
 chat about national issues at the pot luck table.... or you might!  Best
way to find out is to bring it up and see if others want to talk about that
instead of lost pets or which street needs a speed bump.

Judging from the speed and quantity of those chiming in to the Duke Park
listserv, where this all started, it was quite clear that Duke Parkers wanted
to  voice their opinions. Frankly, that came as a surprise to me as our
listserv  generally focuses on super local stuff like lost pets. But if Duke
Parkers want  to discuss global warming, who has the right to tell them they
can't?  And  if WHH also wants to discuss that, there should be nothing to
stop them  either.... and there isn't. There has never been anything that
would prevent any  discussions, yet generally, neighborhood listservs discuss
local issues.

My initial reaction to the War resolution was much like Darius's reaction,
and I wondered out loud if INC should really take that up. But I've now
concluded that INC should be interested in anything the neighborhoods are
interested in, and what should the neighborhoods be allowed discuss?

Just ask the neighborhoods.

Bill  Anderson

In a message dated 7/12/2011 4:34:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,