[Durham INC] Anti-Gay Amendment to be on Ballot in May

Joshua Allen allen.joshua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:48:21 EDT 2011

I know we are done debating the topic, but I just wanted to update everyone
on where the amendment stands.  It passed both houses of state congress with
the 3/5th's majority it needed.  So the amendment will be on the ballot --
in the Republican primary -- in May!  So this amendment is clearly going to
pass.

I do see a few silver linings: The amendment only got 30 out of 50 votes in
the senate, the minimum it needed to pass.  1 vote would have made all the
difference!   The Republicans are so uncertain that the amendment will get a
majority vote that they scheduled it for the May Republican Primary, when
few Democrats will go the polls, all but ensuring passage of the amendment,
which needs a simple majority to pass.  This shows that they are scared
because attitudes are changing to support marriage equality.  Finally, the
last silver lining is that court cases from other states are on their way to
the US Supreme Court which may nullify this amendment if it passes.

--
Joshua