[Durham INC] traffic seperation study: fatality data

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 11:37:56 EST 2011

The ratio of pedestrian to vehicle occupant fatalities in the US as a whole is consistently in the 1:4 - 1:5 range over the study period. In Durham, it's closer to 1:2. Considering how little pedestrian activity there is in Durham compared to a more dense urban area such as San Francisco (where the ratio is 2:1), that catches my eye.

Barry Ragin

---- chloe palenchar <cpalenchar at hotmail.com> wrote:

I always like to make data driven decisions-- and this map of all us road accident casualties seems to be important data to consider for the railroad/traffic seperation study: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/nov/22/us-road-accident-casualties?fb=native

As far as I can tell, nothing shows up as a particular hotspot. There are a few fatalities @ Ellis Rd. But, nothing like, for instance, the intersection of Alston and Holloway!

-chloe