[Durham INC] Neighborship

Marge Nordstrom mnordstrom at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 6 14:59:26 EST 2012

Hi Bill,

I think your email was right on target.  The listserv cross postings keep
working better all the time as people join more than one listserv, plus they
don't require anyone to be internet savvy to use-for example, there are
elderly individuals in our area who love the communication of the listserv
and can manage because they are comfortable with email --an Internet/social
network-based system such as Neighborship is a different ball game.  I have
a couple of additional concerns about such systems.  One is security--it
takes a major effort to implement all the security software that is
needed-just think about all that Facebook and other sites have gone through
over the years.   Another is financial support-the only two things that I
can think of are for people/companies to place ads or for fees to be
charged-am I missing something here?  Listservs on the other hand are free,
easy to implement, easy to join, have a proven track record, and only
require someone to be familiar with email.  In my opinion, your comment
about if something isn't broken, why try to fix it says it all...in other
words the KIS (Keep It Simple) principle works in my opinion.

Later,

Marge Nordstrom