[Durham INC] Homes sold in Durham minus mineral rights -- Fracking to come?

Anthony Waraksa ajw024 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:01:35 EDT 2012

Most often if a large tract of land is being developed the initial
landowner does reserve mineral rights and it's documented on the deed. It's
a common practice: railroads for example owned large parcels in PA,
reserved mineral rights when surface rights were sold, and that permitted
deep coal mining under houses.

In coastal South Carolina, -- the 'Low Country', when the land was sold by
the paper companies to developers mineral rights were reserved as a matter
of course.

Read your deed: if the rights are reserved it will be documented there.