[Durham INC] Help --Trinity Park Wetland could save Durham $20 M and more ---

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 21:15:22 EDT 2012

Please review the article below and consider writing Mayor Bell and the City Council (council at durhamnc.gov) with your support for construction of a wetland at the old Diet and Fitness Center on Trinity Avenue for the following reasons:

1) this wetland will help to reduce the velocity of water runoff during storm events, thereby reducing erosion of private properties that now suffer from storm water run-off directed through those properties. We NEED more wetlands and retention ponds in this watershed to protect existing structures and private properties.

2) this wetland would be aesthetically pleasing and provide wildlife with a much needed habitat in our urban area;

3) this wetland would immensely help naturally filter Nitrogen and Phosphorous and other pollutants out of the Ellerbe Creek Watershed, which flows into Falls Lake and could save Durham as much as $20 Million in the long run with regard to costs of BMPs (best management practices) required to reduce N and P runoff into Falls Lake (as a result of the Falls Lake Rules).

The Durham News | Wetland could save city up to $20M

http://www.thedurhamnews.com/2012/05/08/212014/wetland-could-save-city-up-to.html

Thanks for your consideration and input!
Melissa (Rooney)