[Durham INC] SWCD should be at the table wrt Trinity Park Fitness Center site plan(s)

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 17:39:10 EDT 2012

Dick,
With all due respect, you are assuming what has yet to be demonstrated:  that tearing down the old Diet and Fitness Center and using the land for storm water management is the best use of the site.  It may be the cheapest way for the City and County to solve our storm water problems, but if the non-dollar costs are disproportionately paid by the surrounding neighborhoods, how are they going to be compensated?
This site is in a curious place.  It's a bit outside of Trinity Park as well as Duke Park and Old North Durham.  It's a kind of no-mans-land, and consequently the neighborhood has struggled.  Recently there have been signs of improvement:  houses in the Pearl Mill village are being renovated; the old Cal-Tone Paint store was turned into Trinity Lofts, and of course, not far off are King's, Geer St. Garden, Motorco, etc.  I think everyone would like to see this dynamic continue.  To that end, whatever is done with the old Diet and Fitness Center has to be an asset for the neighborhood, not just the cheapest option for managing storm water.
John