[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 15:53:09 EDT 2012

My kids and I just finished reading the mid-grade novel 'Bang' by Sharon G. Flake. If you are truly interested in the socio-educational complexity of this discussion, I highly recommend you take a day/evening and read it:

Here is the Durham Library link (you will have to cut and paste):

http://catalog.durhamcountylibrary.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=13KN8X1970602.14722&profile=m&uri=link=3100006~!565530~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=subtab148&menu=search&ri=1&source=~!horizon&term=Bang%21+%2F&index=PALLTI

Regardless of the reasons, the life outside of school for too many lower income black kids is plagued with physical and psychological challenges that nobody can understand until they are in that place.

Meanwhile, the number one thing I hear from parents fleeing traditional schools for charter or private schools is concern over the discipline problems and lack of respect in the classroom. Meanwhile, Mayor Bell has challenged the police dept to find a more effective way to handle the increasing violent crimes committed by youth in Durham.

When I read the above book, I got a truly empathetic feeling for what these young people are going through.

I am interested in what people think about the possibility of a residential magnet school for these troubled kids...those who have displayed repeated discipline problems in the classroom and/or have been in trouble with the law, as well as those who voluntarily want to attend a residential school. I am not saying we separate these kids from the rest of the population, I am saying we give them an opportunity to get out of their out-of-school environments and truly concentrate on their personal growth and education.

I have not finalized my opinions on this, but after reading the book above I have begun to think very hard about it.

Melissa (Rooney)