[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

Deborah Christie dchristie1 at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 3 16:33:43 EDT 2012

Dear Melissa,

>From my perspective of 62 years, we Americans have come a long way on race, regardless of continuing racism and racial polarization.  I remember the very bad old days of KKK violence and vicious anti-miscegenation laws.

For encouragement, highly recommend Professor Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature, Why Violence Has Declined
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature) which describes, among many other things, how race riots have virtually disappeared from the civilized world, and how violence in general has drastically decreased over the millennia and particularly in the last century.  A real tour de force and an effective reply to fear-mongers and naysayers.

The real  breakthrough on race is coming, when we end the "war on drugs" which predominantly and unfairly impacts the African-American community (see The New Jim Crow by Law Professor Michelle Alexander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Jim_Crow).

Always appreciate your comments, Melissa.

Cheers -

Deb Christie