[Durham INC] [durhambikeandped] Fwd: [ABCDdurham] Mayor Bell Invites Feedback on IBM Report for Engaging Durham's Youth

Marc Dreyfors marc at greenwayrides.com
Fri Jun 8 00:23:37 EDT 2012

Hi Frank,

I started reading the report and was immediately overwhelmed by the
"technology as the solution" to inner city problems.  The Report read
like a set up/commercial for IBM's corporate view of the world/approach.

"At the heart of this Governance Model is the Youth
Opportunity Corps (YOC), supported by the Executive
Council and the Youth Council. It consists of two units:
one full-time Operations Unit consisting of five roles,
and a part-time Enabling Infrastructure Task Force that
will bring the existing IT and information management
resources together to create the enabling IT infrastructure."

Aack! Focus is on "executive leaders" and healthcare and biotech??!!
Are these guys really who we want engaging our youth, who have achieved
excellence in a broken system that is both undermining our Democracy and
destroying our health and planet simultaneously.

I have a half a dozen kids and under-employed coming by my office daily,
and more if I didn't put a nix on it because we don't have the man-power
or resources to engage them.  These kids are way over-loaded with
technology, You-tubing gangster rape, texting, smart-phones, listening
to brutal lyrics, Face-booking, They are headed for chemical dependency
and ADD/ADHD candidates and certainly "nature deficit disordered."

Personally, taking these kids out into nature would be the best thing
for them, getting them exercise, teaching them to fish, garden, make
things with their hands and feeding them some healthy food reagularly.
IBM's Report is heavy on the psychological leadership pedagogy.
Mentoring is important, but this stuff seems way over the top
complicated.  What are these guys selling?! There are snibits of good
data and approach in this Report, but the thing should trashed.

Talk with Asheville Go! about engaging at risk youth, its about
listening. hearing and being real.  We just spent a couple days looking
into their model with NCCDI  Offering a hope of a job in a healthy,
sustainable and conscientious community is the best way to engage this
problem. I just wish we had a green economy that was robust enough to
provide more entry level jobs (idiot leadership?).

Best thing Durham has going for it is the growing local foods movement,
but I see no mention of greening or sustainability in the whole damn
report!  Outrageous.  Green space reduces crime, greenways allow the
community to exercise and get out of cars, planting trees affects a
range of benefits, etc.  Talk about disconnect, wait until the real crap
hits the fan: famine, drought, flood, fire, spiking energy prices and
economic collapse.  Think we have a problem now?!  We need to give these
kids a heads up and a leg up on the shit storm we have created.   I
guess the IT community will have an ap. for that.

Lord help us,

Marc