[Durham INC] [durhambikeandped] Fwd: [ABCDdurham] Mayor Bell Invites Feedback on IBM Report for Engaging Durham's Youth

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 08:25:18 EDT 2012

Thanks so much for that, Marc! I couldn't agree more, of course.
I have been working all year on a vegetable garden, herb garden, and other landscaping projects at Creekside Elementary. The kids help me once/week during their recess time.

I can't get over how much these kids LOVE it. Too bad I can't get any other adults to help me or we'd do it more often.

Yesterday, we were thinning out thyme, mint and oregano, and I offered to put the pieces with roots into pots for the kids to take home and plant.

They were ecstatic. I was like the pied piper as the kids followed me in a long line to get their pots, fill them with soil and place their little plant within.

When I told them they could eat the leaves of the plants, they got even more excited.

They promised to put the plants in the ground within a week, and I trust that most of them will.

People ask me why I don't hold a garden workday on the weekend or something so I can get more adults to help. The answer is that most of the kids I want/need to reach can't make it to after school or weekend activities. I mean, it seemed that some of these kids had never even held a handful of dirt before.

I hope that Durham can support more gardening programs for our youth -- get the kids outside, encourage them to get their hands dirty and show them the plants that we grow for our pleasure and survival. Or have them participate in water wildlife and water-testing programs like those put on by the Haw, Neuse and Cape Fear River Assemblies -- would make them more aware of our effect on our natural resources and give them experience in biology and chemistry.

Once I leave Creekside, I fear that my gardens will turn to weeds and future students won't get the experience that the current ones so enjoy.

We need OUTDOOR programs for our kids, not more programs that involve them sitting around staring at lighted screens.

Sincerely,
Melissa (Rooney)