[Durham INC] Taking discretion out of the site plans

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 21:33:19 EDT 2012

I disagree with Pat.  The rule means that developers can’t cozy up to
planners and get discretionary changes to requirements which involve no
notice or hearing for other stakeholders.  The law on this is not new.  The
practice of cities giving their planning offices wide discretionary powers
by ordinance violated existing statutes and the NC Constitution.  The 2009
law was a  reality check.

Durham went crazy in the UDO giving the planning director discretionary
powers to waive requirements or allow things in his discretion.  When Mr.
Duke began to exercise this power, he caused huge trouble all over town (a
Jordan Lake decision comes to mind).  No one knew what he was up to until it
was all over.  The Trinity Park case and the Moreene Road case are two other
examples of too much staff discretion without notice and hearing.  Under NC
law, changes to zoning rules must involve notice to effected parties and an
opportunity to be heard.  Without at least quasi judicial hearings,
discretionary site plan review becomes a one-sided case with no notice and
no appeal.

When we did the Ninth street plan and rules the neighborhood stakeholders
objected strenuously to the draft provisions that vested discretionary
decision-making powers in the planning director, the downtown Durham design
group, or the DRB.  The city attorney agreed with our objections.

Tom