[Durham INC] Brown water drinkable & can it stain white clothes? Durham collecting water?

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Wed Aug 8 18:15:29 EDT 2012

When people see brown water in their toilets will there also be brown water in their kitchen and bathroom sinks and also in their clothes washers? Is the brown water inside the house drinkable? Would using pitchers that will filter water help get rid of what is causing the water to be brown? Is it better when seeing brown colored water anywhere in the house to be cautious and drink bottled water for a couple of days?

I believe dumping water onto streets is extremely wasteful and even more so during a drought. I would expect people in the future will look back at pouring water down the sewer and be astounded that present day people were so wasteful.

I think it would be great if the city had a funds, manpower and equipment for capturing the water that is emptied from fire hydrants (say into water trucks). This water could than be used for watering plants on public property — such as trees in parks, plantings along the roadways and new city trees whose roots systems are just beginning to become established. In addition I would like it if individuals could collect the water for personal plants.

Laura